Monday, July 21, 2008

July 21 - Hyderabadi Biryani

Today we decided to check out a restaurant called Paradise and get some shopping done for my mom and sis who are staying in India longer than me and my dad. Paradise is located in old Hyderabad and the restaurant is famous for Traditional Hyderabadi Biryani. Biryani is meat and rice cooked together with spices. I'm not sure how else to describe it, but it is my favorite Indian dish. The funny thing about posh restaurants here is that they have 4 or 5 floors dedicated to them, with each floor having a level of A/C. I.e. No A/C, standard A/C, Deluxe A/C, Super Deluxe A/C, Platinum A/C.

Each level is just a representaion of the amount of cold air they blow into the restaurant. We chose to go with Deluxe A/C and had an incredile meal. At least I thought saw. My biggest regret of this trip will be not coming back here again. I stuffed my face full and I have no regrets in doing so.

My Favorite Dish - Hyderbadi Biryani

mmm... Can't get enough of this stuff

Chicken Biryani

After lunch it started pouring in the city so we decided to head to a local mall. Well really it's a mall built around the IMAX theatre. Nice place, but nothing authentically Indian aout it. This spelled Western Influence. The malls here in India are generally tiny compared to the malls in Calgary. However, I have seen a few mega malls here which would easily dwarf any of the megamalls in the U.S. or Canada; well nothing beats West Ed in terms of square footage but you get what I mean.

Hyderabad is famous for three things; Food, Shopping, and Hi Tec City. Hi Tec City being a separate district of Hyderabad that houses all the IT firms such as Microsoft, IBM, Dell, and all the call centres. Because all these companies are here they also have brought their massive architecture to Hyderbad. While the buildings aren't sky scrapers by any means they easily dwarf any of the buildings in Hyderabad.

We decided to call it a day as we're heading to Warangal tomorrow.

No comments: